With Precious Maphosa and Judith Phiri
A doctor was injured while property worth thousands of dollars was destroyed yesterday when the doctors' houses of the Mpilo Center in Bulawayo were damaged by fire.
Officials said they still confirmed the cause of the fire and the actual value of the items destroyed. The operating director of Mpilo Central Hospital, Mr Joel Charangwa said that the fire began at around 2pm.
"The incident took place around 2pm, we were told by one of the bar maids who were on the ground floor in the building when he suddenly began to choke and come out only to worry about the fire on the first floor. When the Fire Brigade crew arrived at the scene, the entire first floor had been burned but they managed to save the lower building. One of our junior doctors suffered injuries while trying to jump out of the building, we are grateful that there is no life lost, "Charangwa said.
The doctor, Dr. Mpiloenhle Sibanda (29), who suffered wounds to his left leg, bruised in the elbow of his right hand and broken on the right side of the waist, said he was sleeping when he suddenly started breathing smoke.
"I was in my room at the end of the block when I began to breathe smoke. I ran to the corridor where there was too much smoke now strangling me, which was when I decided to go back to the room and jump out the window, "he said.
Minister of Provincial Affairs for Bulawayo, Cde Judith Ncube who rushed to the hospital said the incident was sad because it came when the Government was trying to resolve the issue of accommodation for doctors.
"It's terrible when we really look for more accommodations, we lack accommodation to serve them, the incident was heartbreaking when we asked God what happened to us as Bulawayo, we had to come as a team and work together in solving such problems, he said.
Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade, Cde Raj Modi who also went to the scene said he was relieved that at least there were no lives lost and no one was seriously injured. Sunday News.