By Vasco Chaya
The new contest, Miss Twins Zimbabwe, is struggling to attract sponsors because the date for the grand finale is approaching.
Scheduled for December 15, the contest was founded earlier this year by musician Sarah Dhliwayo, aka Sarah Dee. This attracted a lot of attention because of its uniqueness.
However, despite the hype, this event failed to attract the main sponsor to make it successful. As it stands, the project is self-funded with the help of Harare nightclub, East Point, which has offered them a place to hold the event.
Sarah Dee confirmed this to the media last week in Harare saying despite a lack of sponsors, the contest will take place.
"We want to hold our first show in bigger and wider places like the hotel auditorium but Menakomboita zviripo.
"In the beginning, we were flooded with promises but now it seems that everyone who promised us there is something that is tracking back," the mother of four said.
Sarah Dee's hope is to get around $ 100 000 to ensure a successful contest. There is a need for the right boot camp and prizes for the queens.
He could not say what exact budget they were working on or what was offered for that big night.
"The truth is we operate on a shoe string budget. Given the resources, we need around $ 100 000 to run the event, "he said.
This event will feature 10 sets of twins from various parts of the country.
"This event aims to promote girls in the community. This is also a vehicle to fight gender based violence in the community, "he said.
Miss Twins Zimbabwe risked the same route with Mr. Ugly, another unique local contest, who lost enthusiasm and light due to lack of sponsors.
Mr Ugly's contest from Apama was initially funded by Devine Assignments and when the economy took over the country, the contest withered.
Since 2012, Mr Ugly experienced stunted growth due to a lack of sponsors.
Mr. Inauguration The first Ugly has five contestants. The number of contestants rose to the next seven years and seven other contestants were registered in 2015.
The failed contest was launched in 2014 due to financial constraints.
In 2017, the Mr Ugly contest registered only five contestants because of a tight budget.
"We want to grow the number of contestants for years, maybe up to more than 15, but our resources are not possible," Apama told the Daily News on Sunday. Daily News