New Zealand rejects the use of Huawei 5G on the basis of national security
The New Zealand intelligence agency rejected the first request from the country's telecommunications industry to use 5G technology equipment provided by Chinese company Huawei Technologies Co.
, accused of reasons for national security.
Telecommunications service provider Spark New Zealand Ltd, which made the request, said Wednesday it would review the state agency's statement before considering other measures.
The decision came in the context of increasing distrust among the top Western countries, in his opinion, the possibility of Chinese government participation in mobile communication networks and fifth generation. Huawei has repeatedly emphasized that Beijing has no influence over this system.
Earlier this year, neighboring Australia banned Huawei from providing 5G equipment, also citing security risks. Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported that the US government was trying to convince companies from allied countries to avoid Huawei.
"I report to Spark that significant risks to network security have been identified," Andrew Hampton, director general of the Government Communications Security Office, said on Wednesday.
Intelligence service minister Andrew Little told Reuters that Spark, whose request is part of the demand for the country's first 5G technology, could work with the agency to reduce the risk. Hampton refused to mention his concern, and stated that it was confidential information.
Huawei said in a statement that "it will actively tackle the problem and work together to find a way forward," adding that it had signed more than 20 5G contracts with operators worldwide.