These are the latest updates for Google Maps:
- In-app community feed: With this new feature, Google Maps users will have access to the latest reviews, photos, and posts added to Maps by the people they follow and local experts. It’s like Yelp ( – but it will be available directly in the application. )
- Messaging for Maps and Search: Verified companies can message customers directly from the app, allowing searchers to interact with businesses and ask questions. Messages from customers will appear in the business messages section of the app updates tab.
- Performance insights for business: This business-focused update will track how well the company is performing by measuring the number of customer engagements starting with Maps and Search. This system will provide news insights for business performance and engagement with customers on Google.
- Street View images added by users: Google Maps users will be able to submit their own Street View images from their mobile. In particular, people can do this by recording a series of connected images as they move down a road or path. After the footage is recorded and published, Google will automatically rotate, position and combine the images.
With the new social features Google launched this month, Yelp’s competition with Google Maps is even stronger than ever. And Yelp is well aware. In March, the company filed a longstanding complaint about Google at a hearing in the Senate Antitrust Subcommittee.
– CNN’s Brian Fung contributed to this report.