Wednesday , February 26 2020
Home / unitedkingdom / Fashion student died of Toxic Shock Syndrome just three days after her 19th birthday – The Sun

Fashion student died of Toxic Shock Syndrome just three days after her 19th birthday – The Sun



A FASHION student died of Toxic Shock Syndrome just three days after his 19th birthday.

Madalyn Massabni complained of feeling unwell when she returned to her home in New Jersey from a birthday meal with her mother Dawn in March 2017.

    Madalyn Massabni died tragically due to the Toxic Shock Syndrome

3

Madalyn Massabni died tragically due to the Toxic Shock SyndromeCredit: Facebook
    Since Maddy's death, Dawn's mother has made it her mission to educate women and girls about TSS and the safe use of tampons by speaking at schools and universities

3

Since Maddy's death, Dawn's mother has made it her mission to educate women and girls about TSS and the safe use of tampons by speaking at schools and universitiesCredit: Facebook

Maddy's mother remembers meeting her the next morning, saying, "She can barely respond to me and she can't talk. I don't even know if she knows who I am and I immediately call 911."

Mum-of-two Dawn said the ambulance arrived at her house, but at that time, Maddy had a seizure.

Dawn told Good Morning America: "I carried her and she looked at me and closed her eyes … I shouted, 'I love you very much. Please don't leave me.

"He had a heart attack on my hand and stopped breathing."

Maddy was taken to a hospital where doctors tirelessly tried to revive him.

END OF TRAGIC

But the teen's health deteriorated the next day, when his family made the decision to turn off the ventilator.

Maddy, who is a fashion student at Lynn University in Florida, died only three days after her 19th birthday.

Heartbroken Dawn added: "It has been torture and hell since he left me. I miss him so much. I miss hearing, 'I love you, Mummy.'

Maddy experienced menstruation during her sudden illness and used tampons.

The official cause of death is Toxic Shock Syndrome.

What is Toxic Shock Syndrome?

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is caused by staphylococcus or streptococcus bacteria.

These bacteria usually live on the skin and in the nose or mouth without causing damage, but if they go deeper into the body they can release toxins that damage tissues and stop the work of organs.

These things can increase your risk of getting TSS:

  • use a tampon – especially if you leave it longer than recommended or you use a "super absorbent" tampon
  • using female barrier contraceptives, such as diaphragms or contraceptive caps
  • problems with your skin, such as cuts, burns, stew, insect bites or cuts after surgery
  • labor
  • use nasal packaging to treat nosebleeds
  • have staphylococcal or streptococcal infections, such as throat infections, impetigo or cellulitis

TSS does not spread from person to person. You don't develop immunity to it after you have it, so you can get it more than once.

Source: NHS

Since Maddy's death, Dawn has made it his mission to educate women and girls about TSS and the safe use of tampons by speaking at schools and universities.

Her 501C3 foundation, Don't Shock Me, was created in honor of Maddy for spreading awareness about infections.

Dawn added: "I know Maddy will be very grateful for the life saved. If he gets through this, he will do what I do."

    Maddy, who is a fashion student at Lynn University in Florida, died only three days after her 19th birthday

3

Maddy, who is a fashion student at Lynn University in Florida, died only three days after her 19th birthdayCredit: Facebook


Source link