Several Te Puke houses were evacuated after a gas leak in Te Puke.
A spokesman for the Communications of the North Fire Department said firefighters were called to a gas leak on Cameron Rd near Hookey Dr and Gisborne Rd.
The spokesman said he was not sure what caused the gas leak and several people in the area had been evacuated.
He said firefighters extinguished a small garbage fire in an empty space "just to be safe" and the gas leak was now under control.
Two fire trucks from Te Puke were called to the scene.