Sunday , May 9 2021

The UN system is mobilized against Ebola in the DRC

Democratic Republic of the CongoImage Copyright
Getty Images


WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

In the Democratic Republic of Congo, the WHO and UN delegation met with the press on Thursday after visiting the city of Beni where Ebola went berserk.

WHO said it was addressing problems that slowed health responses to the epidemic, including public distrust and indifference to disease in most of the affected people.

A turbulent security environment is a big problem, but the UN hopes to provide an effective solution. WHO Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called on armed groups to work together.

To read also: WHO announces Ebola emergency meetings in the DRC

To read also: The resumption of the Ebola campaign in the DRC

"Regarding the issue of armed groups, as you know, the virus is dangerous for everyone, so I hope they will understand that and that they will work together, because it is dangerous for them too."

"I can say that insecurity is a virus and Ebola is another virus, because both of them kill people, and I hope armed groups will work together for the people who suffer in this part of the DRC. And they must be aware."

The UN Deputy Secretary General for Peacekeeping Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix promised a change of strategy.

To read also: The attack slows the Ebola fight in the DRC

To read also: Children of Ebola victims in the DRC

A new strategy that involves all partners working in the health response and those who provide security in the affected area.

"We have decided to secure Beni, to focus on this city which is the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak and the center of our response to this epidemic, and the city of Beni has not been attacked for three weeks".

"We hope this will continue and we will do everything needed to make it happen."

Since August, there have been 308 cases and 191 deaths in the eastern DRC. WHO said the current epidemic was on track to surpass the previous outbreak, the biggest, which occurred in Yambuku in 1976, with 318 cases and 280 deaths.

Source link