A man from Tennessee has died of being infected by meat-eating bacteria after taking some swimming in Florida. His daughter blamed the hospital for ignoring his warning that his father could suffer from necrotizing fasciitis.
William Bennett died after visiting his daughter Cheryl Bennett Wiygul in Florida last week. They swim in a number of different waters, including the beach in Destin, then on Turkey Creek and in a swamp on Boggy Bayou.
Cheryl has heard reports of people being infected by meat-eating bacteria in the state and making sure his father took additional precautions, because he had previously had cancer and could have a weak immune system.
"My father has no open wounds. He has a number of places that can be healed practically, small scratches on his arms and legs that I make sure have been closed tightly," he wrote on Facebook.
Within 12 hours, Bennett began to experience fever, cold and cramps. He went to a hospital in Memphis where they saw a "Black spots are very swollen" on his back.
His wife told everyone in the hospital that he had been in Florida and that it could be necrotizing fasciitis, but this was stopped and staff reportedly would not do a biopsy. Black spots doubled in size and new ones appeared, along with red bumps on his arms. Bennett's condition really worsened and he became septic, and immediately & # 39; coded & # 39; twice before dying.
Lab results reveal it has vibrio vulnificus, which manifests as necrotizing fasciitis and causes sepsis. The Centers for Disease Control said that vibrio causes around 100 deaths in the US every year.
A Florida woman died in June after suffering from necrotizing fasciitis, after she cut her shin while walking along the coast of Anna Maria Island.
If you like this story, share it with friends!