Infection dropped by Pigeon & # 39; contributed & # 39; on child mortality, MSP said



[ad_1]

A review will be carried out at the main Scottish hospital after one of the two patients who died there after contracting an infection associated with pigeon feces was a child.

Scottish Health Secretary Jeane Freeman confirmed the post-mortem examination carried out on the child showed that the Cryptococcus bacteria were a factor in their death.

A patient previously at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow was also found to have an infection caused by inhaling the fungus Cryptococcus, which was mainly found in soil and pigeon feces, but Ms Freeman stressed it did not contribute to their deaths.

Pigeon manure appears in the plant room on the roof of the hospital through a small gap in the wall, which "is not visible to the naked eye," Freeman said.

Adding is still unclear how bacteria enter the ventilation system, he said a review will be carried out in the design, construction, delivery and maintenance of leading hospitals.

It was built for the Scottish Government at a cost of around £ 842 million and opened at the end of April 2015.

Although the hospital has just been built, Ms Freeman said there appeared to be "a number of examples" where the fabric of the building was "less than satisfactory".

After visiting the hospital on Tuesday morning, the Health Secretary said: "I have agreed to the review, with advice from outside experts, who will look at building design, work construction, building construction, building surrender and building maintenance, to ensure we identify where problems arise which should be handled and where maintenance programs may now be stronger or more frequent. "

Ms. Freeman announced the review after establishing "clear factual points" on two patient deaths for MSP at Holyrood.

He said the bacterium Cryptococcus had initially been identified in one patient in November 2018 but was not related to the person's death the following month.

Ms Freeman added: "In December a post-mortem of a child who died according to Cryptococcus was present and was a contributing factor in their death."

He explained the second case triggered the introduction of additional infection control measures by the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, including prescribing anti-fungal drugs for "vulnerable patients" and providing additional air filters.

"I believe the council has taken all the steps they must take to ensure and maintain patient safety," he said.

Labor health spokeswoman Monica Lennon said the public would be "surprised" to find out that one of those who died was a child when he claimed there had been "obscurity" from the health council about the infection.

Ms Lennon said: "I think Scottish people would find it truly remarkable that in modern hospitals, Scottish flagship ships and apparently super hospitals are no less, we have a situation where pigeons and infections can kill patients.

"If this unthinkable and deadly infection can occur on the aircraft carrier Queen Elizabeth, what stops it from happening in another hospital?"

MSP Labor urged Ms. Freeman when the Scottish Government was notified of this problem, after an outpatient report contacted previous health secretary Shona Robison in March 2018 regarding problems with pigeons in the hospital.

Freeman said that a thorough search of government records and staff at Ms Robison's constituency office did not find a trace of this letter.

The Health Secretary said: "The government was first notified of Cryptococcus infection in two patients on December 21.

"It was the right time for the Government to be notified because it was post-mortem after child mortality which identified the second case, and that the second case was a later trigger for additional infection control measures, therefore we were properly informed"

[ad_2]

Source link