A student in France said he thought he might die after he had a severe allergic reaction to hair dye which caused his head to swell.
Estelle, 19, who asked Newsweek not to reveal his last name, buy hair dyes at the supermarket two weeks ago, so he can change himself from a blonde to a brunette.
He was worried a few hours after he applied the dye to his scalp, when it began to itch. Not thinking too much about it, he went to the pharmacist to get the cream to deal with the irritation – but the worst was yet to come.
Two days later, he looked in the mirror and was surprised by what he saw. His head is swollen because it cannot be recognized.
"I have a light bulb head," he said Le Parisien.
He was rushed to a hospital where doctors found he had an allergic reaction to paraphenylenediamine (PPD), a compound found in 90 percent of hair dyes and was known to carry the risk of allergies.
The head circumference is swollen from 22 inches to 24 inches.
The doctor gave Estelle an injection of adrenaline and held her there for the night for observation, and she told me Newsweek he thought he would die.
"Before you arrive at the hospital, you don't know how long it will take for you to suffocate, if you have time to go to the hospital or not," he said.
He has posted pictures of his ordeal on Facebook as a warning to others who might miss a fine print on a hair dye product.
"I'm fine now. I laughed pretty much at myself because of my extraordinary head shape.
"But my biggest message is to tell people to be more aware of products like this, because the consequences can be fatal. And I want companies that sell these products to make their warnings clearer and more visible."
The concentration of PPD chemicals in hair dyes has been regulated since 2013. The UK National Health Service Guide (NHS) says that they are usually safe to use, by providing safety instructions followed.
Catherine Oliveres-Ghouti, from the French National Dermatologist Association said Le Parisien that two to three percent of the population can be allergic to the substance and he often finds cases of "eczema, eyes such as rabbits and swollen heads."
"I see patients who are disabled. But extreme cases like Estelle are rare," he told the newspaper.