Lego is probably one of the world's favorite toys.
Originally from Denmark in 1934, these square-shaped building block toy pieces are gaining popularity among adults and children. You can really build castles, robots, cars, and even animal statues just by interlocking plastic bricks.
While many of us are fascinated by the way Lego works, some parents fear that their children might accidentally swallow the little blocks. St. Hospital Louis Children report that children aged six months to four years have the highest possibility of ingesting non-food items.
A common problem among parents encouraged a group of six researchers to do something learn to see how long it will take when someone accidentally takes a Lego item. And yes, the scientific method used in this study might sound disgusting and risky.
To do this, scientists deliberately swallowed the head of Lego. They also develop their own metrics called Stool Hardness and Transit (Shat) and Found and Retrieved Time (Fart) scores.
The Shat score assesses consistency or changes in stool while the Fart score records the number of days. Based on the Fart score, it only takes an average 1.7 days before Lego can pass through the stomach; while the Shat score shows no change in the consistency of their stool.
Strangely, one in five doctors failed to find a toy on the bench.
They also compared the results of the Shat and Fart scores to see if more loose stool causes faster retrieval but they do not find a correlation.
While no researcher did not experience complications during or after the trial, Grace Leo, one of the report's authors reminded parents that they should not imitate this at home.
INQPOP! The stories we think you might also like:
SEE: The injured tortoise continues to roll in the LEGO wheelchair
You have Stephen Hillenburg to thank you for all these invaluable SpongeBob SquarePants memes
This is why Friendster is more friendly than other social media networks