Important facilities in Saanich B.C. for many of Canada's best athletes closed after the fire was accidentally installed in the building Sunday morning.
Due to unexpected circumstances, the PISE facility will be closed for today, November 25, 2018. Updates when the building will be reopened will be posted on time. thank you for understanding
Police said they had arrested a 30-year-old Victorian man after a fire at the Pacific Institute for Sports Excellence (PISE) and other buildings on the adjacent Camosun Interurban College campus called the Center for Business and Building Access (CBA).
PISE provides facilities and programming for high-level athletes but also for community members including children and adolescents.
"This is home to many of the world-class athletes who come here to train and work," said Dan Wood, deputy chief of operations for the Saanich Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to the first fire at PISE after 2am PT on Sunday. When they put it out, the crew were alerted to another alarm from another building. Firefighters found a small fire burning inside, and police arrested a suspect on the scene.
Last night, PSD Max worked with @SaanichPDPatrol to arrest a man who was believed to have been destroyed into two buildings which were then set on fire. #Good story #Team work #YYJ pic.twitter.com/cM3tqF6G2L
& mdash;@ SaanichPDK9
Const. Matt Cawsey wrote in a release that several allegations including rest and entry, arson, delinquency and theft were being recommended and that suspects remained in detention.
Wood said that someone had put up a box and poster board from the lobby of a burning CBA building.
The second fire is relatively small.
As for PISE, the damage is far wider. The reception area is burned where there are computers, tables and chairs. There is smoke and water damage in the PISE building and it is not clear when it will be reopened.
Thank you for @uvic Paid members of PISE can use their facilities at #CARSA on Monday, November 26 and Tuesday, November 27. Get paid #members need to show their current membership card and sign the waiver. #yyj
& # 39; Must be dangerous & # 39;
The accidental fire followed six other people getting ready on Halloween night in an area that includes Saanich and Victoria.
Wood said burning was an unnecessary crime.
"You know it's reckless and not only puts our citizens and their property in danger, it also puts our firefighters at risk of responding to this," he said. "There is no reason for such behavior, it must be dangerous."