The Nintendo Switch is a big success in the world, but maybe the numbers in Japan are the most impressive. The hybrid console has exceeded the PS4 sales volume in this country, although the release date is much newer.
Japanese video game magazine Famitsu has released console sales figures in Japan for the first two weeks of May 2019. The Nintendo Switch destroyed competition with 83,471 consoles sold during that period. Furthermore, PS4 and PS4 Pro each sold 17,646 and 12,357 copies, while Xbox sales were anecdotal: 196 for One X and 186 for One S.
The Nintendo Switch exceeds the PS4
This is also a historic moment because the Nintendo Switch, a little more than many years after its release, has succeeded in surpassing the PS4 in sales volume in this country. The console sells for around 8.13 million units, compared to 8.1 million for the PS4, including all models. A big achievement while PS4 was released in 2013 and at the end of life. And this confirms the distinctiveness of the Japanese market in video games and entertainment in general.
Also read: Nintendo Switch: this adapter allows you to play with the PS4 controller!
Here is the volume of console sales in Japan from May 1 to May 15, 2019 (and because of its availability in parentheses):
- Nintendo Switch – 83,471 (total 8,125,637)
- PlayStation 4 – 17,646 (total 6,918,073)
- PlayStation 4 Pro – 12,357 (total 1,159,683)
- Xbox One X – 196 (total 15,177)
- Xbox One S – 186 (total 90,202)
- Nintendo 2DS XL – 8840 (total 1,619,429)
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 1511 (total 5,877,659)
- PlayStation Vita – 1088 (total 5,859,668)
And this is the ranking for video games:
- Days Gone (PS4) – 45,864 (total 161,830)
- Super Smash Ultimate Brooch – 33,842 (total 3,076,992)
- Minecraft – 28,369 (total 776,378)
- New Super Deluxe Bros. Super Mario – 26,584 (total 611,390)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 26,154 (total 2,295,735)
- Yoshi's World – 20,873 (total 137,440)
- Pokemon Let 's Go – 20,318 (total 1,524,756)
- Super Mario Odyssey – 18,309 (total 1,025,137)
- Splatoon 2 -17,338 (total 3,063,187)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 16,206 (total 1,314,946)
And that might not have ended for a hybrid console. Some reports have reported the development of the Nintendo Switch Mini and several games such as Pokemon Sword and Shield 2019 will help increase sales again.