While outside the group of protesters faced with the Police, the Buenosair Legislative Body debated this Thursday session the project that created UniCABA, a university for education training in the City of Buenos Aires which will replace 29 existing state formation institutions. until now
At the beginning of the day, a small group of protesters identified with the MST flag pulled a fence and faced directly with the local police, who responded by throwing pepper. In addition, several opposition MPs came out to support the protest.
The legislature is fully fenced in and all access is cut off. There is a lot of police presence, with riot trucks and patrol cars.
Maximiliano Ferraro, legislator Vamos Juntos and head of the Education Commission, explained to Clarin that the project was trying to "improve and try to have an education policy to prioritize teacher training. It has two objective objectives, one to establish objective goals of the rights and obligations of the Ministry of Education and Training Institutions Teachers and also the development of evaluation and statistical systems. We want to build a culture of evaluation. "
Meanwhile, the Buenos Aires Minister of Education, Soledad Acuña, criticized the protest: "The education community is something else, currently in teaching and learning classes, is a group that is screaming very loudly but there is a large majority who agree", stated Miter radio.
The controversy came from last year: when in November last year the government took the lead Horacio Rodríguez Larreta He presented the project, provoking resistance and resistance both in the country and personal professors and from the Church (which is responsible for 20 institutions) because it implies its dissolution.
After a negative reaction, the Government modified the initiative and this year sent the second version of the project to the Legislative Body. However, it was also rejected by students and teachers.
Discussions between demonstrators and the City police. (Luciano Thieberger)
– A new teacher education university was created, UniCABA, which will coexist with existing teacher or teacher training institutions. Thus, those who want to train for teachers can choose between these state universities and offers from tertiary, public and private.
– The new one UniCABA will be held during 2019. In the first months of next year, the chancellor normalizes and the driving team will be appointed, which must describe the institutional project and follow the habilitation procedure. The first registration will begin in the second semester of 2019 and the first students will start studying in 2020.
– A process teacher evaluation. They will create the first evaluation institution – with the participation of teaching staff – whose mission is to define indicators, standards and test metrics. The agency will be chaired by Mariano Palamidessi, the current director of the Uruguay National Institute for Educational Evaluation.
– Private institutions will not be required to use administrative computer systems that also establish projects, which must be adapted by 29 state teachers. This digital platform will allow the authorities to know the number of students and teachers that the teacher has. Private teachers can continue to use their system, as long as they send the necessary data to the authorities: this information is key because registration is related to subsidies.
Incident in front of the legislature. (Luciano Thieberger)
– Opposition lawmakers question the project. They claimed that he used hierarchical and modernization arguments, but in reality he tried to slowly destroy public teachers, by dismantling them and frustrating them with the creation of a university. For experts consulted by Clarín, this project was better than the first draft presented last year, but they showed that conflict and lack of dialogue meant that the opportunity to build initiatives with greater consensus was lost.
The opposition does not get a quorum to handle its own initiative
On the other hand, Los opponents block in Legislative Buenos Aires they did not succeed in collecting quorums needed to handle a series of educational records in a special session.
Called at 10 am, it is hoped that the special session will not succeed because of the lack of a quorum, something that finally came to light after 10.30, when the first vice president of the agency, Francisco Quintana, he raised him by accounting for only 25 legislators in the area of about 31 needed to hold a session.
The president of the ruling bloc, Agustin Forchieri, sent a note to the venue saying that "Vamos Juntos" would not be added to the meeting, which ruled out the possibility of the session being held.