Saturday , September 25 2021

CSA is ‘deeply sorry’ that Covid-19 is putting a UK tour in jeopardy



  • South African Cricket and England and Wales Cricket Board agreed to cancel the ODI opening between the two sides at Boland Park on Sunday.
  • CSA Cricket Director Graeme Smith said they “deeply regret this situation”.
  • Three Proteas players have tested positive and two unconfirmed positive tests from the touring England team cast doubt on the remainder of the game.

The opening of ODI between Proteas and the UK has been canceled in Paarl as the coronavirus continues to disrupt short visits by tourists to the country that was originally scheduled to include three T20Is and three ODIs.

Since the team entered the custom-made bio-bubble on November 18, the threat of a global coronavirus pandemic has continued to rock the tour.

Upon their arrival in mid-November, England became the first international team to tour South Africa since the pandemic struck in March.

Following a chaotic This year, Cricket South Africa (CSA) is back in the spotlight, this time for the safety and well-being of its players, the England team and their support staff.

Following the cancellation of the first ODI at Boland Park, CSA Director of Cricket Graeme Smith stated in the press release that they are “very sorry” for the predicament affecting the tour.

“CSA is doing everything in our power to ensure that our top priority, namely the health, safety and well-being of players, support staff and all those involved in this series is taken care of. With that in mind, we have made the joint decision to cancel today’s match,” said the former Proteas skipper.

“We deeply regret this situation given the amount of time and energy that has been put into organizing a successful tour. We will continue to give the England team all the support they need.

“We are continuing to hold talks with the ECB as we navigate the situation under the guidance of our joint medical team.”

So far, three Proteas players have tested positive for the coronavirus with the most recent incident involving the home team taking place before ODI was postponed on Friday.

On Sunday, one hour before the start of a rescheduled match in Paarl, CSA confirmed that two staff members at the Vineyard Hotel – a base for Britain and Proteas – had tested positive for Covid-19.

As a precaution, England players and management underwent an additional round of PCR tests on Saturday night.

It was later confirmed that two members of the UK touring team returned with unconfirmed positive tests for Covid-19.

The decision on the two remaining ODIs (Monday and Wednesday in Newlands) will be taken after the UK test results are “independently ratified by medical experts”.

The UK has dealt with the bio-bubble before as they have just finished a successful summer with a series’ against the West Indies, Ireland, Pakistan and Australia.

This is Proteas’ first experience hosting and taking part as a team in a bio-safe environment.

ODI Proteas Team:

Quinton de Kock (captain, Titans), Temba Bavuma (Lions), Junior Dala (Titans), Beuran Hendricks (Lions), Heinrich Klaasen (Titans), George Linde (Cape Cobras), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Janneman Malan (Cape Kobra), David Miller (Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Lutho Sipamla (Lions), Jon-Jon Smuts (Warriors), Glenton Stuurman ( Soldier), Rassie van der Dussen (Lion), Kyle Verreynne (Cape Cobras)

UK ODI squad:

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex, captain), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Tom Curran (Surrey), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Reece Topley (Surrey), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)

Proteas changed tour dates:

Monday, 7 December – 2nd ODI, Newlands, Cape Town (Day-Night Match)

Wednesday 9 December 2020 – 3rd ODI, Newlands, Cape Town (Day-Night Match).


Source link